The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will introduce 200-rupee note effectively by the first week of September, confirmed Finance Ministry on Wednesday.
In a statement released by the Department of Economic Affairs, the government said the Central Government specifies the denomination of bank notes of the value of two hundred rupees.
“In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 24 of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934 and on the recommendations of the Central Board of Directors of the Reserve Bank of India, the Central Government hereby specifies the denomination of bank notes of the value of two hundred rupees,” reads the statement.
The notification for the Rs 200 notes was issued under Section 24 of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934, and on the recommendations of the Central Board of Directors of the RBI.
Finance Ministry sources said that the new 200 denominated bank notes, being printed at a government press in Mysuru, will facilitate to fill out the demand of cash in the market.
As per reports, the decision to introduce new notes of Rs 200 was taken in March. The process of printing the new Rs 200 notes likely begin after June, once the government officially approved of the new denomination.
1. See through register with denominational numeral 200
2. Latent image with denominational numeral 200
3. Denominational numeral २०० in Devnagari
4.Portrait of Mahatma Gandhi at the centre
5. Micro letters ‘RBI’, ‘भारत, ‘India’and ‘200’
6. Windowed security thread with inscriptions‘भारत’ and RBI with colour shift. Colour of the thread changes from green to blue when the note is tilted
7. Guarantee Clause, Governor’s signature with Promise Clause and RBI emblem towards right of Mahatma Gandhi portrait
8. Denominational numeral with Rupee Symbol, ₹200 in colour changing ink (green to blue) on bottom right
9. Ashoka Pillar emblem on the right
10. Mahatma Gandhi portrait and electrotype (200) watermarks
11. Number panel with numerals growing from small to big on the top left side and bottom right side